Thursday, November 1, 2018

If you're reading this message....

....it's because I have neglected this blog and only just now posted the scripts for Season 1.5 and Season 2 Episodes 1-4. The production in those episodes improved greatly over the first season and a lot of improvisation and experimentation took place, which means that the scripts here don't actually match the episodes. That actually makes this really interesting though, since, by reading the script, you can see which scenes were improvised and which scenes were actually in the script. You can also see places I called for specific sound effects and hear how what I envisioned when I wrote the script actually manifested itself in real life.

Season 2 has been more successful than the last few seasons, and if you'd ever like an easy way to catch up that doesn't require listening through the production fiascos that were Episodes 1 and 4, you can do that here. This season is also a little bit darker, and its where the events in Season 1 come full circle. The themes of compassion and love become complicated somewhat, since John and Meagan are both confronted with a fairly sinister situation. It also becomes clearer that the series is about drugs in the same sense that Spiderman is about spiders. If that makes any sense.

Instead of recording the episodes on the UCCS Radio computers, I recorded them in soundproof pods in University Hall, and edited them on the UCCS Radio computers. I also only lead about half the episodes--Meagan really becomes a main character here. She also might arguably be more powerful than John since she can absorb the "language" of any chemical, plant, animal, or being.

Links to streaming websites are going to be omitted, mostly since I am finishing up my MA degree and working one full time job and a part time job that mean I really only have time to finish the episodes and copy/paste the scripts. I've also minimized commentary. There are more motifs and repeating themes or images in the writing that might be easier to pick up on in this blog, but I don't want to be too overbearing. The meaning you take out of Rivers of the Mind might be more interesting than what I envisioned when I wrote the episodes.

I've written a lot of drafts for Season 3, but I'm still plugging away at it. As far as I can see, I have at least ten more seasons of plot. Will this story still be as interesting to me when I am in my thirties? Who knows! I am hoping so. But since I'm planning on sticking with it for a while, I am pretty sure some of the voices will be changed around, and the audio quality will continue to improve. I've had ideas for several other radio shows or stories too, and I'd like to find time to write them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment